Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Late Night Cravings: Choc Mint Brownies

I swear, this is not going to turn into a baking blog although, I have been pretty obsessed with food photography blogs that I've stumbled upon while looking for recipes.

I think it is because we're right smack in the middle of Winter now and all I want to do is to keep warm and have something that will insulate me a little better. Apart from the compulsory quilt (and extra blanket), what better way to fatten yourself up than with desserts - both cold and hot? :)


Tonight while looking at some of the most delectable food blogs (with pictures to match) I started craving - as in, really craving - for a rich, moist chocolate brownie. Then I came across this chocolate mint brownie recipe and I knew I just had to bake it. Like now. Nevermind that it's 11 o'clock at night and nevermind that I have not ran in a couple of days.

Brownie. Now.

And so I did. But after tonight, I'm placing a ban on myself. No more junk food (except that mandatory ice-cream at work, heh) especially this late at night. My sweet tooth has gotten the better of me and I'm noticing it in my waistline.


Before the ban though I'm allowing myself to indulge! Thus the recent baking spree. And without further ado, chocolate mint brownies (in a cup)!

Ingredients
Brownie layer:
1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
114g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
250g granulated white sugar
1tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (70g) all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
Mint layer:
2 tbsp (28g) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup (115g) confectioners sugar
1tbsp non-fat Greek yoghurt (Or heavy cream)
1/2tsp peppermint extract
Chocolate glaze:
3 ounces (90g) semisweet chocolate
1tbsp (14g) unsalted butter


Method
Brownie:
1. Preheat oven to 160ยบC and place rack in the center of the oven. Line a 9x9 inch (23x23cm) baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in a stainless steel bowl over simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and vanilla extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in flour and salt and beat until smooth and glossy and comes away from sides of the pan. Pur batter evenly into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheater oven for 25 minutes or until brownies start to pull away from the sides and edges begin to brown. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to completely cool.
Mint layer:
1. With electric mixer, beat ingredients until smooth. Add a little extra cream if frosting is too thick. Spread evenly over cooled brownie layer.
2. Place in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes or until firm.
Chocolate glaze:
1. In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt chocolate and butter.
2. Spread over mint filling and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until chocolate glaze starts to dull.
As you can see, my brownies didn't consist of three layers. Firstly it was because I didn't have a small-enough pan to bake my brownies in so instead, I used my muffin tray. Secondly it was because I got lazy and I didn't want to wait for another 30 minutes just to have that chocolate glaze!


The brownies were quite good. I added a lot more peppermint essence into my frosting because I like mine a lot more minty. I liked that the outside is crispy and the insides oh so soft and chewy! :) Not the best brownies I've had but for a quick fix, it was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment